Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Twenties Parasol










I took these photos of my sister Ireland yesterday afternoon (which was one of the first days of sunshine after too many rainy and gloomy days.) I'd been meaning to do a shoot with this twenties parasol for a while now. I bought it at a second hand store for ten dollars, and although you have to hold it to keep it open, it still makes an excellent prop for photos. After it was determined we'd be using the parasol for this shoot, we worked from there, creating an early 1900's burlesque slash mourning look. Possibly a little Moulin Rouge inspired. Along with the parasol, the look was comprised of a sixties/seventies bias-cut nylon skirt and a satin kimono (both selected from my mum's hoard of charity shop finds). Ireland's corset came from a charity shop, and I've forgotten where I got the felt flower.


9 comments:

Rosalind said...

These are divinely lovely shots of Ireland. I'm especially struck by the 5th, 6th and 7th. Isn't it wonderful also the way that the 3rd black and white image looks as though it could have emerged from a box of photos taken in the 20s.

Flora Cruft said...

I'm totally entranced by these ravishing images, Ireland looks incredible in that dreamy outfit. I love the combination of the dreamy twenties/ thirties style kimono, corset and parasol. That third image took my breath away.

Veshoevius said...

These are gorgeous photos and I love the mood you've created in these images. Especially love the one of her with her back to the camera looking out over the fields. You do live in such a beautiful place. The outfit made me think of Victorian mourning gear - you've got a real talent for creating scenes and moods - no mean feat! Is professional photography/styling a future career aspiration? You're certainly on the right track.

Ofelia said...

you were very effective in mixing eras and different styles to create this cohesive look and evoking look.

OrigamiGirl said...

I love the one with her back to us and the parosel open. It is full of texture. I always love seeing your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty!

Jo Potter said...

Beautiful photos. I love the vintage look, so very pretty!


http://joannemayillustration.blogspot.co.uk/

Lynn Hasty said...

Beautiful!!

xoxo
Lynn Dylan

Monsterchen said...

wow i just browsed through some of your latest posts and i´m pretty amazed by all the wonderful photographs, your blog is a real pleasure for the eyes! and gosh how absolutely beautiful you look here! i want a parasol like that;)
kiss,mary
http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/