Pages

Saturday 2 June 2012

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland










 During the time my sister was in Melbourne for a few days and my darling godsister - Jazz, was staying over, I had found that my sister had bought Lewis Carroll's 1920s Miniature Edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. When my Mum told us this, it had seemed so very funny at the time, given that the shoot we'd done that afternoon was Alice in Wonderland themed.

As I read this beautiful book, I feel immersed not only by the story but by the care one must take with the the fragile pages and delicate binding, and I was glad to discover that I wasn't the only one who loved the scent of old books and enjoyed that sweet smell that invades your senses as you read. I love old books, especially ones that need to be handled with extra care because they threaten to fall apart in your hands, recently my Mum and I visited a Book Trader's store, where I found myself instantly darting to the back of the shop where the old classics were. My eyes had scanned for A tale of two cities and Pride & Prejudice but settled on The Bronte Sisters and I found myself picking up Wuthering Heights. I also spotted many other classics I'd heard of, and then I started just stroking the spines of the books and picking out books not for their names but their covers - Beautifully bound with leather, pages so ancient they look as if they're about to crumble, pages that actually are about to crumble, or their size that have a satisfactory weight in your hands.

It was a different and wonderful experience, too, when I found myself in the penguin section, I've always loved the orange and white covers of penguin books. After leaving, I realised how much I missed old book stores.

This beautiful vintage ball gown was bought by my mum in the 80s (I'm pretty sure anyway) and was shortened a bit due to my mum's height. The vintage T-bars were a charity shop find for my mum to sell on Etsy, and having a small foot size, Jazz managed to fit into them. Other than the fluffy second-hand top hat in one photo, the only other thing added was the lace sash - as the beautiful colours and pattern of the dress are enough. The addition of orange lipstick went well with the orange colour in the pattern, as well as the beautiful blue sky that showed the weather was on our side for a shoot that day.


 Something that has always been a part of my love of old and vintage things, is the history of it, the mysterious life it had before it was worn wandering about fields for photoshoots or part of an outfit for going out. Whilst reading this Miniature Edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, I would wonder about previous owners, maybe if it was read aloud outside under the shade of a tree, while the listener made a daisy chain, like Alice herself.

7 comments:

Clara Turbay said...

Nice blog!

FASHION TALES said...

Iovr the inspiration and the photos dear! Love the shoes!

Rosalind said...

What a glorious dress - certainly one that tells tales of past wearers. It fits your theme very well. And ah - the scent of old, leather bound books. I wish that smell could be bottled.

Ireland Casswell said...

Aww jazz wearing my favourite dress grhh though she looks absolutely stunning in it.

Sasha said...

Lovely retro dress and the shoes are just adorable!

Sasha said...

Lovely retro dress and the shoes are just adorable!

Mariely Crowne said...

what a beautiful dress!!
xo
www.stylegod7.blogspot.com